The transshipment of liquid and dry cargo via Giurgiulesti International Free Port increased by 50% to a total of 410,509 tons in 2013. About 59% of the transshipment volumes constituted the export of Moldovan grain, oil seeds and vegetable oil by maritime vessels to countries located on the Mediterranean Sea. The remaining 41% of the transshipment volumes constituted the import of oil products via the Danube from Romania, by sea from Israel and Greece, construction material via the Danube from Romania, malt via the Danube from central Europe and soda with maritime vessels from Turkey and Bulgaria.
“In 2013 we managed to achieve the largest transshipment volume at Giurgiulesti International Free Port to date. We obviously benefitted from the exceptional harvest, which resulted in a significant increase in the export of agricultural goods via Giurgiulesti. However, we also managed to substantially increase the transshipment of oil products and attracted the transshipment of new types of cargo such as soda in big bags”, said Thomas Moser, the Chairman of ICS Danube Logistics SRL, the operator of Giurgiulesti International Free Port.
ICS Danube Logistics SRL, a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Dutch company Danube Logistics Holding BV, is the general investor and operator of Giurgiulesti International Free Port and a multi-modal logistic service supplier. Giurgiulesti International Free Port is a Black Sea — Danube Port located on the maritime section of the Danube in the Republic of Moldova. For more information see: www.gifp.md