The transshipment of liquid and dry bulk cargo via Giurgiulesti International Free Port increased by 8% to a total of 731,548 tons in 2015. About 52% of the transshipment volumes constituted the export of Moldovan grain, oil seeds and vegetable oil primarily by maritime vessels to countries located on the Mediterranean Sea. The remaining 48% of the transshipment volumes constituted of the import of oil products by river barges, maritime tanker vessels and European railway wagons as well as construction material by river barges.
“Despite a difficult economic environment we managed to achieve the largest transshipment volume at Giurgiulesti International Free Port to date in 2015. In the first half of 2015 we still benefitted from the exceptional harvest in 2014, which resulted in a significant increase in the export of agricultural goods via Giurgiulesti. However, we also managed to substantially increase the transshipment of oil products”, said Thomas Moser, the Chairman of ICS Danube Logistics SRL, the operator of Giurgiulesti International Free Port.
ICS Danube Logistics SRL, beneficially owned by the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development and by the Dutch company Danube Logistics Holding BV, is the general investor and operator of Giurgiulesti International Free Port and a multi-modal logistic service supplier. Giurgiulesti International Free Port is a Black Sea — Danube Port located on the maritime section of the Danube in the Republic of Moldova.